1.28.2015

The winter of my discontent...


Ok, I just noticed that my last post was in 2013. I have officially become the worst blogger ever. Anyway, it is never too late to do good, as we say in French ;) 



I am radically changing the way I write my blogs. First, I'm going to post different things on the French and English version of this blog. Mainly because this one is a more general one (though I am not kidding myself as to the numbers of my readership :) ), while the French one is directed mostly to my friends and family. Also, I have finally started a knitting blog, that can be found here. I love so much browsing through other people knitting adventures that I thought I'd join in on the fun. Finally, I've decided to write about what is really going on with me, regardless of whether I find it "interesting" or not. Blogs are for readers, yes, but I would like to try an experiment in un-editing myself and see what will come out. 

Never underestimate the cheering powers of pretty yarn.

2015 is starting strong for me. I have already talked about my grand mother's passing, and that is taking a huge part of my life right now, and sparking a slew of questions I would much rather not have to answer, but cannot ignore. 


One of my attempts at answering them is the solo performance I've been working on since November. I have been lucky enough to have been welcomed at The Hive NYC to create the show, and while it has been very slow going, I think I can say that I'm finally beginning to see the direction it is taking. It is not quite the one I had in mind when I started and has taken a more metaphysical turn, but it reflects more truly what really matters to me, rather than what I think people will want to watch.

I am going to be using quite a lot of movement, and so far that is the part I haven't really dived in. I need to get back in shape and start doing very specific physical exploration if I want anything I do to have meaning. I am lucky enough to have gravitated around a bunch of very talented performers/directors in France putting up solo performances and theater/movement performances. François Berdeaux, director of the Compagnie Désequilibre, was one of them. Here's a trailer for a one man show he directed with acrobat Cyrille Musy, about time and its perpetual passing. 


Of course I don't suppose to do anything as acrobatic, but getting back into a dance studio would probably do me good! 

I know it's only a little show, and I barely have twelve minutes of it, and maybe eleven out of those twelve suck, but it feels fantastic to be my own master and do my own work. Not sure I'll ever be able to play the audition game for very long at a time. I guess you could call that a good thing, since it literally puts a gun marked "create!" to my head... :)  


Here's to a next update before 2017! 

No comments:

Post a Comment