10.01.2012

Time goes by so quickly when you're having fun...or not!


Argh my dears, time here is not elastic! I was planning to write an article last week, but quite frankly I do not even see it go by ! It is very strange indeed, because on one hand time goes at breakneck speed, and on the other it feels like I have started months ago ....


The week began rather well with the Broadway Flea Market last Sunday where we went with Heather and Leehee (another crazy Broadway buff). We wandered between stands, saw lots of beautiful  theater people and stopped to say hi to our favorite diva, who was wearing a damn beautiful shawl that was not unfamiliar ... :)

Photo not mine
Then we went home for a real slumber party with junk food, all kinds of screens ans rare bootlegs galore ... Below are some pictures to give you an idea of the evening ...


Still dressed
Pajamas mode
 Well, it was all good fun and all, but on Monday, things became serious again. All students were invited to lunch in the theater for a briefing. And there : tragedy! Not only getting an artist visa after three years is an obstacle course, but even if I could, as a non-American, non-English and non-Canadian, I've got almost zero chance to become a union member (and therefore to work) one day ... This afternoon was pretty tragic for me ....

And my fellow students who were asking me "Are you homesick?" ... Uh, no, the opposite!
Well, tomorrow is another day, and I decided to take care of one thing at a time: first, my accent. There will be time to ask for a miracle in three years when I need it. For now, there's work to do and no time to mope. Without writing detailed account, here are some impressions in no particular order.


  • Technically, my major problem is breathing. I don't know if it's asthma or just unnecessary tension, but it is amazing how my lungs are handicapped.
  • I was warned about Alan (scene study), but it is now confirmed: this is the most frustrating, difficult, exasperating class all week. That being said, this is where I could learn more if I manage let go of my own demand for a result.
  • I'm a fan of our text analysis teacher, Larry Gleason, who is passionate, straightforward and with whom it is a pleasure to work.
  • I discovered a capacity for relaxation and concentration that I did not know I had in Jackie's class (acting technique) ... it is a joy to refocus in that class.
  • Physical acting is a boot camp for actors, and between it and dance I'll be super muscular in a few months ... for now it is still a huge struggle!


  • BH Barry (Stage combat, a legend) is one of the most amazing teachers I have ever encountered. His way of managing everyone's fear (we throw each other, we hit each other, we fall, we roll, all of it in a fairly daunting way) is completely effective and absolutely kind.
  • Giving up control, letting go of things, trusting others is still my main difficulty when it comes to relating... there's a lot of work to do this year!
Yup, that's me ... If there is one thing I have to work on this year, it's this one.


  • Terry Hayden (Acting technique, 92 year old) is a medium and a treasure ... How lucky to have her working with us.
  • In general, whether with Kryste or Sara, singing, I'm in the direct line of Chris and Frédérique, so I really feel like I'm continuing the work already begun, and that's great! I feel that last year has prepared me specifically for this program.
  • It is an absolute joy to be able to go see shows two or three times a week. Each performance is a lesson for me. Check the reviews if you like, although I'm way behind ...


  • The audition for the advanced dance class (Friday morning 7:15) is next Sunday at 9am. I'm going, but I'm freaking out for this winter and my little muscles who like neither the morning nor the cold. But Jeanne is really great and it would be stupid to miss an opportunity to work two more hours with her.
  • Passing Victoria Clark en route to a rehearsal for Cinderella when I'm walking to dance class is a surreal experience for the little French girl that I am ...


I still sometimes can not believe that I changed my life so much, that I am HERE. I am where I've wanted to be for more than fifteen years. It's crazy, magical and the overwhelming desire that I have to be part of this community can be upsetting ... So the idea is to focus on the present, one class at a time, one day at a time, one week at a time.

Fall is already here and Halloween is not far away either ...

I'm sure I have plenty of other things to tell you, but it's time to go to bed to start the week more or less fit tomorrow ... :) Love and kisses to all and see you soon I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment