10.14.2012

Week...? Who's counting anymore?

Hello hello, my faithful readers!

Last weekend was very busy, so I found myself forced to postpone my article to today ... thus, I now have too much to say!



First thing I should say is, we are tired!

These last two weeks have been epic and eventful ... The week before last week was hard for me and I found myself going back to an "hyper protective" state, which is not really the most efficient for a theater program, eh ... So last weekend I kicked my own ass to get back to "vulnerable" ... come what may!


So before even getting into a recap of this last week, last Sunday I got up at dawn to go audition to be part of the advanced dance class with Jeanne at 7:30 on Friday morning. And yes, not only do we have dance a class at 7:30, but here 40 people will get up at 7am on a Sunday morning to audition for that class ...

The Sunday warriors

The state of my knees after the audition ....

The audition began as a regular class with a warm up and accross the floor and ended like a real audition with half an hour to learn a choreography in a crowded room, and dance it by group of three in front of people coming from outside the school. Personally, I had fun! In the end, 14 people got into the class and I was one of them : 7 girls 7 boys, 5 first years, 3 in my group. The week was starting well!


Monday, we were lucky enough to have Suzanne Bertish come and talk to us about Shakespeare for too short an hour ... I loved this woman, and I keep her in mind for "potential workshop opportunity" if one day she decides to teach one ... :)


Everyone was in high spirits on Monday, so during mask we went in all directions, from musical improv to "on the moment" games that suited me very well. We've been working on primal state and personally, as soon as we try making up stories of "I'm making a fire," "I hunt a mammoth", "I pick berries," I just drop out of it completely. While this time we were simply connected and playing while discovering words.

That was pretty much the idea of ​​this class ...

Tuesday was almost uneventful, but we met our Workshop teacher, Mr. Abels. I like him a lot and I'm looking forward to working with him on Tuesday.
Wednesday we started a new exercise in physical acting, question/answer improv without words, just the body and sounds. I had a lot of fun, and I'm happy with the freedom that I'm finding in terms of instinctive reaction.


A mini diversion to talk in two words about  shows that I've been seeing this week, because I'm super late for my review blog ! The new version of Forbidden Broadway, the show that parodies all current musicals where I died laughing. Pericles, Prince of Tyre, brilliantly directed by our classical text teacher, Ed (a lover of Shakespeare and well of knowledge), and performed by a young enthusiastic company with many alumni ... Shakespeare as you always want to see it performed!



It's autumn!

Wednesday, I did my first scene for Alan, so obviously a lot of stress, even though I was trying hard to focus... I was pretty scared to find myself defensive with him because he brings out all my insecurities (probably on purpose!), but I was ok I think. He pointed to the things I knew were weak in the scene... Still trying to find my way around everything that has to be expressed without "pushing" it... I sometimes have trouble when several conflicting reactions/emotions are involved... and of course anything really dramatic is still really hard for me to connect to (problematic, for an actress... hum!) We'll present the scene again in a few weeks. I'm very far from where I want to be in terms of truth, but I didn't feel false or disconnected, so I take it as a positive sign (trying very hard to be patient with myself here) !

New York is still New York ....

Thursday I sang Everybody Loves Louis in  Singing interpretation. I had fun and I found several new beats, so it was great. And Sarah was happy, so that's good too. I love reworking a song I know with someone else and enriching what I've already found ... From next week on, we start to work with imposed songs from the American Songbook  ... I'm curious to see what she'll suggest!

Friday morning, it was the real deal with dance at 7:15 ... Frankly, I was surprised not to be exhausted ... it was great, for the moment we're working a lot on technique because everyone has different backgrounds, but we move fast and it's stimulating ... But then the day after that is very long indeed !!





 Small picture recap of two weeks of partying ...
Some photos by Kaleigh

And amidst all this, I still managed to finish the translation of Gregor 4! Next week, Gregor 5, here I come !


That's it, there's probably a lot of other things, but this is already a lot! Meet again soon for my next adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment