10.28.2012

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, Sandy's in the place, yo.


So here I am waiting for the coming of our stormy visitor. Classes were canceled tomorrow for the first time in the history of Circle (barely an exaggeration). No subways from tonight 7pm. Which means ... more time to catch up on my blog !


These last two weeks have been full of new and varied emotions ... The first is that, nine hours a day locked up in an environment where we are asked to expose ourselves constantly can wreck havoc in my ability to relate to people without tension.

I am not used to being in a group all the time, and subject to the general mood changes and other incompatibilities of character... This had me in a state of super protection two weeks ago, and frustrated by everyone and everything, no matter how harmless...


Only it's all very well, but it soon dawned on me - my mind is slightly used to identifying my own defense mechanisms - that not only was it not quite fair to my classmates who were also struggling with the same unsettling conditions I was, but also that it was not especially constructive and that it went completely against the artist and the person I'm desperately trying to become ...


In short, all that was needed were a few adjustments on my part, and since then everything has been shiny! I feel that things are changing for the better, without my knowledge. The work that we do, although it seems scattered at times and I have the feeling I don't have enough time to digest it, is making its way outside f my control (which is just as well .. . ahem).



Photos by me, Emma and Kaleigh

So school is going fine, if I forget my ankle / knee sprains that do not make it easy to dance and make me look like a slacker when I'm just trying to keep my body in working order beyond 35 years old .... Oh well.
The thing I find hard to reconcile is the different approach to the two years of school: first year, we do 8 scenes max in the whole year. In the second year, we have sometimes 8 scenes per week ... Shifting into high gear is an understatement...

Huh? What? Four scenes in a day???

On another note,  Autumn is here in all its splendor. The trees are yellow and the festivities are in full swing ... Here, the holidays are serious business! Yesterday night I was in Manhattan on my way to see Sherie Rene Scott at 54 Below (Review here), and I have never come across so many people in elaborate costumes in a city. It seemed that all the theaters had dumped their companies in the street ...









Only in New York City ..

Sherie Rene Scott at 54 Below: the show was great, I love this place. And Heather and Juliana are very awesome company!


 Pictures by Heather

Otherwise, nothing exciting ... We still manage to have a quiet night from time to time, when I'm not translating I spend my life reading plays, and Saturday is always laundry day!



The only bit of interesting news was that Vanessa Redgrave was coming to do a seminar tomorrow ...


But... because of Sandy it is canceled of course ....


With that, I'm going to bed ... so far no sign of said killjoy, but I'm sure it will not be long ... it won't prevent me from sleeping soundly! Ha, I laugh in the face of danger!



 Love and kisses to all and see you soon for an account of this adventure ...

No comments:

Post a Comment